4/27/09

Homemade Mac & Cheese

I am a sucker for pasta. Especially if it's smothered in rich sauce and not very healthy for you. :) Here's the recipe for the ONLY macaroni & cheese I will eat - no offense Kraft! When I do make it, my kids always come running saying "Mom made homemade mac & cheese!". The rewards don't get much better than that!

From "The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook":

Creamy Stovetop Mac'n'cheese
8 oz. macaroni (2 cups)
salt
2 large eggs
1 (12oz) can evaporated milk
1 t. dry mustard, dissolved in 1 t. water
1/4 t. Tabasco
Pepper
4 T. unsalted butter
12 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded (3 cups)

1. Bring 2 quarts water to a boil in a large pot for the macaroni. Stir in 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and the macaroni and cook until almost tender but still a little firm to the bite.
2. Meanwhile, mix together the eggs, half of the evaporated milk, the mustard mixture, Tabasco, 1/2 t. salt, and 1/4 t. pepper.
3. Drain the pasta and return it to the pot. Set the pot over low heat and stir in the butter until melted.
4. Stir in the egg mixture and half of the cheddar. Continue to cook over low heat, gradually stirring in the remaining milk and cheddar, until the mixture is hot and creamy, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

2 comments:

  1. We don't have cable and America's Test Kitchen is my FAVORITE pbs show! I never know when it's on! I love it though! I will try this one! I don't like mac n cheese. I have tried Paula Dean's crock pot one, and it's pretty good! Thanks Angie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the instructions it calls for an egg mixture, but the ingredients don't list eggs. How many eggs are needed?

    ReplyDelete

What did you think?