2/16/09

Chicken 'cordon blu'

OK so this isn't the real thing. But its yummy! And my kids think its a fancy meal when we call it that.

I'm leaving amounts out because it is pretty adaptable...just use as much chicken as your family will eat. And slice the ham and cheese to match the amount of chicken you use. For just my family I only use 1 can of soup 'cause the kids don't like the sauce. But when I make it for company I use 2 cans.

Chicken breasts pounded THIN and cut in half or thirds depending on how big the breasts are. (I like the pieces to be about as big as my hand- not palm- when flattened.)
Sliced ham (I use lunch meat)
Mozzarella (or swiss) sliced fairly thin
Italian seasoned bread crumbs
Can(s) cream o' soup (mushroom or chicken)
Milk (1 can of soup = 1/2 soup can of milk)
Seasoning to taste (pepper, garlic etc.)
Parmesan cheese grated
toothpicks

Lay out flattened chicken piece, top with ham and sliced cheese. Fold in 1/2 and secure with toothpick. Place in greased 9X13 dish. Repeat with all chicken, ham & cheese.
Sprinkle generous amount of bread crumbs over chicken.
Mix soup, milk and seasonings in bowl. Pour around chicken pieces in dish. Top with grated parmesan. Bake at 375 for about 30 minutes. Check for done-ness, remember the ham may turn the chicken pink....

I serve this with rice or buttered pasta, and a green salad.

*Note- I like to make this Saturday afternoon and refrigerate it till after church on Sunday. (We have 8:30 church) When we get home I throw it in the oven (still covered in foil) at about 350 for as long as it takes the rice to cook. It is always nice and bubbly when the rice is ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think?