2/19/09

Sugar Cookies

For years I hunted for a sugar cookies recipe that would suit me. I tasted this recipe that I got from my friend, Erica, and it has replaced all the other recipes I was holding on too. These are best topped with Cherry Frosting.

1-1/2 cups shortening
1 cup butter
2-1/2 cups sugar
6 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 cup sour cream
1 T. vanilla
1 T. almond extract
1 tsp. salt
8 tsp. baking powder
1/3 cup oil
1 French Vanilla cake mix
8 cups flour

Mix butter, shortening and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, milk, sour cream, vanilla and almond extract. Stir together salt, baking powder, oil and cake mix; stir in with butter/sugar mix. Slowly add flour until mixture is only slightly sticky (it will take all 8 cups of flour).

Bake at 350-degrees for 10-minutes. Let cookies rest on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before removing them to a cooling rack. They might not look done after baking 10 minutes but they will continue cooking while resting. This is the key to keeping them soft.

This recipe makes a TON of cookies. It is easier to mix if you have a Bosch or a Professional size Kitchen-Aid mixer.

*I put a small amount of powdered sugar on the counter to roll the cookies out. It doesn't toughen the cookies like flour does. Because of all the 'oils' in the recipe it doesn't really stick to the counter anyway.

3 comments:

  1. the recipe says to mix the butter and sugar first, and never mentions the shortening....i'm assuming you mix it with the butter and sugar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely loved these!!! I made a half batch, and it worked out just fine. Mashell - these will replace all others for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, mix the shortening with the butter/sugar. I forgot to add that, sorry.

    ReplyDelete

What did you think?