2/3/09

Potato Chowder

Here is the original recipe I got from my visiting teacher when she brought this yummy dish after I had my second baby. It is a winter time favorite at our house.

8 cups peeled/diced potatoes
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
3 cans (14 oz each) Chicken broth
1 can Cream O Chicken (or mushroom) soup
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese
Crumbled bacon- optional
Snipped Chives- optional
1 cup frozen veggies- optional

Combine first 5 ingredients in large crock pot. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours (high 3), or until potatoes are tender. Add cubed cream cheese and stir. Cook for one more hour (high 1/2), stir occasionally. garnish with bacon and chives if desired.

Now here is how I modify it:
When I go to add the cream cheese, I spoon off about 1/2 cup of the broth and add it to the cream cheese. I use my immersion blender to mix it together till smooth. Then I stir it back into the crock pot. I then use the immersion blender to puree SOME of the potatoes, but not too many.
My family also really likes it when we add shredded turkey (or chicken) or small chunks of ham. I add it at the same time as the cream cheese.
I don't add the veggies, and I use a little less than 1/4 tsp pepper.

Great with bread bowls!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think?