2/19/09

Enchiladas

Ok Michelle. This one's a recipe from memory - it's been passed all around my family from my uncle who served his mission in South America somewhere :}. I change it a little pretty much every time I make it, so adjust accordingly for your family's liking.

The original recipe goes like this:

1# ground beef, browned with minced onions,drained
1 small carton cottage cheese
1 small can sliced or diced olives
1 large can tomato sauce
Grated cheddar cheese
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 package flour tortillas

Hold a tortilla in your hand, and stack a scoop of each ingredient along the width of tortilla. Roll up tightly, and place in greased 9x13 baking dish. Continue until meat, olives, and cottage cheese are used up. *Depending on how you measured your ingredients, you may need to use another smaller pan for extra enchiladas. I do pack them in pretty tightly though. Spread extra tomato sauce over top of enchiladas, and top with cheddar cheese. Bake at 350, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes, or until edges are golden and you can see the sauces bubbling.

* I have adapted this a ton of ways, but my favorite way is to make up a box of Rice-A-Roni Mexican rice (or from scratch if you're feeling ambitious), and add it to the mix. I've also used jarred enchilada sauce in place of the tomato sauce. It's much more flavorful that way, but I don't usually keep it on hand, so tomato sauce is easier to use. Add a teaspoon of ground cumin and 1 T. chili powder to the tomato sauce, and it tastes pretty close to enchilada sauce. I hope this didn't confuse. :)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much! I have thought about these over the years and have been meaning to ask for the recipe forever!

    ReplyDelete

What did you think?