2/19/09

Homemade Marinara

I found this recipe on this website (which I LOVE by the way)and just had to try it. This is my adapted version. I realize that this looks like a lot more work than most are willing to go to, but trust me. The end result is well worth the cooking time in this recipe! Not to mention, if you happen to plant waaayyy too much zuchinni and squash in your garden (ahem, who me?), it is a great way to sneak them to your kids without them even knowing they're getting veggies!

1 medium zucchini
1 medium crookneck squash, peeled
1 large white onion
1 C. celery
1 T. minced fresh garlic (or more to taste)
1 T. olive oil
2 T. sugar
2 T. salt
3/4 t. pepper
8-10 tomatoes OR 3 cans stewed tomatoes
2 T. basil


Chop finely (or food process) all veggies, except tomatoes. I grate my veggies in my KitchenAid slicer attachment. Saute in large braising pot with the oil. When vegies are limp and shimmering, add tomatoes with juice, and the sugar, salt, and pepper. Puree all together with immersion blender (or in blender - you may need to do small batches). Allow to simmer for 3-5 hours without lid. It should reduce about 1/3. I like to let it cook the full 5 hours so that the flavor is really strong, and the watery liquid has mostly evaporated. At this point, chop basil finely(or use dried), and stir in. Remove from heat, and serve immediately, or let cool completely. From this point, I portion out what my family will eat in one meal, and put it into a freezer ziploc. Then freeze. To reheat, I just turn the frozen block out into a large pot, and slowly reheat. *This is where I add 1 pound of browned, drained Italian sausage or add these to the sauce. Serve with pasta!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think?